The Wave: Bristol will be a place that will bring surfing and its many benefits to people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. At the heart of our plans is a surfing lake powered by the latest wave-making technology. This will sit in beautiful gardens – spaces where people can relax and recoup, get back in touch with nature, play, learn and explore.
There will be sensory gardens, healing gardens, activity areas, peaceful hideaways and kitchen gardens, as well as a natural swimming pool, café, changing facilities, education centre and surf shop. We will also be home to a High Performance Surf Centre that will help bring on the UK's future surfing stars.
The project has surfing at its heart but is about a lot more than just that. We want this space to help educate people on a whole range of areas, from marine conservation to science and technology. We want it to inspire healthier lifestyles and to make a positive difference on the lives of those in Bristol and further a field. We want to use this place to showcase the use of renewable energy and sustainable building techniques. Most importantly, we want to do all of this whilst making sure people have great fun in the process.
The site is in the village of Easter Compton, not far from Junction 17 on the M5. Our plans were granted planning permission in June 2014 and we aim to be building on site in 2015.
An inland surfing destination close to Bristol City
◦ Perfect waves every day for people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
◦ Three surf zones. High high waves for advanced surfers, waist to chest high secondary waves for intermediate and knee to waist high beginner waves.
◦ High performance surf centre for elite athletes and aspiring professionals.
A health destination
◦ Swimming, surfing, yoga and open space for activity and relaxing.
◦ Healthy food grown on site, prepared and eaten in a relaxing space.
◦ Surrounded by countryside, nature and water.
An educational destination
◦ Supporting schools in STEM subjects and engaging children to encourage life long learning.
◦ Providing education about conservation and management of water. Protection of coastal and marine environments.
◦ Importance of exercise, nutrition, natural environment